Friends of Broadwater
Your 2021 Friends of Broadwater Team
In February, we held the Friends of Broadwater (formerly known as the PTA) Annual General Meeting to elect a Chair, Treasurer, Secretary and Committee members for the coming year:
Chair - Emma Beech
Treasurer - Anthony Baines
Secretary - Natasha Wood
Committee Members - Jo Ghosh, Ann-Marie O'Brien, Mary Shipley
At the meeting we had a report from the Treasurer about the fundraising and spending since the last AGM (see below for more info). We also decided to rename the PTA the Friends of Broadwater. We are looking forward to a successful and fun year and will be organising more meetings online soon (and in person once that's allowed). Minutes of the meeting and the full Treasurer's report have been emailed to all parents and staff.
In 2020 we raised a total of £10,307. Thank you to everyone who contributed. Most of the fundraising was done through our new Virgin Money Giving account. We started our Coronavirus Emergency Appeal http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fund/broadwater2020 in April 2020 to raise money to help children get online for home learning (laptops, data top ups, dongles, etc) as well as emergency food supplies for families in need. This has made a huge difference to our children who were all able to learn online during the 2021 lockdown.
In November, we started a new Books for Broadwater fund http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fund/booksforbroadwater to raise money for new reading material.
The school has ordered new books which support all or our curriculum subjects to ensure the reading material reflects the diversity of our pupils.
Did you know that in 2018 just 7% of new children’s books featured a BAME (Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic) character? Only 4% had a BAME protagonist. You can still donate by clicking on the red button below.
Welcome to Friends of Broadwater
The Friends of Broadwater (formerly known as the PTA) is a voluntary organisation made up of parents and school staff and has been a registered charity since 2013 (Registered Charity No: 1150858). Our key goals are:
- To raise funds to enrich the education of all children at Broadwater Primary School and support school activities;
- To help build a sense of community between parents, staff and others associated with the school;
- To ensure that children enjoy their time at Broadwater by providing fun events.
As a parent or carer of a child at Broadwater, you are automatically part of the Friends of Broadwater and we welcome anyone who would like to get involved. The skills, experience and enthusiasm provided by parents and staff play a vital role in our success and all contributions, big or small, are greatly appreciated.
The important work we do
The Friends of Broadwater runs several events throughout the year including the Summer Fair, Sports Fair and Christmas Fair. In addition to this we organise cake sales, uniform sales and other fun events for pupils, parents, and staff to enjoy. Money from these fundraising activities benefit all children at Broadwater and support the school, allowing them to buy new equipment, books and run school trips that otherwise would not be possible.
- Sign up to our private Facebook group – Broadwater-Tooting-PTA
- Sign up to our mailing list by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Speak to one of your friendly committee members!
We always need people to:
- Share ideas – this is your school and we value your input so if you have an idea about fundraising or an event, please get in touch!
- Help at events either or with preparations
Help us by collecting free donations every time you shop online. Follow these 3 easy steps:
- Join: Head to easyfundraising and search for Broadwater Primary School to start fundraising.
- Shop: There are nearly 3,000 retailers on board, so pick the one you want and start shopping.
- Raise: After you’ve made your purchase, the retailer will make a donation to Broadwater Primary School at no extra cost to you.
Ask if your employer offers Match Funding
Many companies offer ‘matched giving’ to their employees - meaning that if you raise funds for the school, they will also donate funds. For example, if you help out at a particular event the company will ‘match’ what that event or staff raises. Please speak to your Charity/Community/Sustainability representative or someone in HR about whether this is something your company does. It could mean even more money to spend on our school!